(ecstasy, mandy, molly, pills, gurners)
MDMA is a stimulant drug with euphoric and mildly hallucinogenic properties. It was first synthesised in 1912 but rose to popularity in the dance music scene in the 1980s. MDMA comes in two forms, pills and powder/crystals and can be taken orally or snorted.
Effects | Dosage | Advice | Support
The effects of MDMA should take around 30-60 minutes to begin depending on whether it’s snorted or swallowed. The main effects are:
- Increased energy/alertness
- Increased empathy or feeling ‘loved up’
- Increased appreciation for music
- Mild hallucinations
- Increased temperature
- Jaw clenching, teeth grinding, tongue and cheek chewing (gurning)
- Erectile dysfunction/inability to orgasm
Dosage will depend on a number of factors including tolerance, gender and how it’s taken (either nasally or orally). This is a guide only.
Recommended dose = 50mg + your bodyweight in kilos
E.g. if you weigh 70kg the recommended dose is 50 + 70 = 120mg
If you are going to redose, it should be no more than half the original dose and be taken 2-3 hours in.
Harm Reduction Advice
- Start low and take it slow. Remember you do not know what chemicals are in your MDMA.
- Avoid mixing MDMA with other drugs including alcohol. Mixing drugs will put a greater strain on your body and make your comedown worse.
- If you’re dancing remember to sip 1 pint of water per hour to avoid dehydration. Take breaks from the dancefloor to avoid heat stroke.
- Always weigh your dose. The best way of doing this is using a milligram scale. Don’t take random amounts on a dark dancefloor.
- If someone is overheating, take them to a cooler, calmer place. Remove some clothes and try to cool them down with water.
- If someone collapses or becomes unresponsive, seek immediate medical attention. You will not get in trouble for doing this.
- Avoid taking MDMA more regularly than once every three months. This will allow time for your body and brain to fully recover between sessions.
- Do not attempt to get in the car and drive. Make sure you find a safe alternative.
The Drop is BDP’s one stop shop for support, advice and resources around party drugs.
VISIT THE DROP
DRUG USE FEEDBACK
Visit drugsand.me for more information.