(m-kat, meow, drone)
Mephedrone is a cathinone which is a class of stimulant drugs. It rose to popularity in 2008 when it was still legal and being sold online and in headshops. It was scheduled in 2010 as a Class B drug. Nowadays, mephedrone is much less common and is sometimes substituted with other cathinones.
If taken orally, the effects of mephedrone take around 15-45 minutes to kick in and last 4-8 hours. If snorted, the effects will take 15-45 minutes to kick in and last 3-6 hours.
· Increased libido
· Social enhancement
· Jaw clenching
· Intense comedowns
Dosage will depend on a number of factors including body weight, gender and tolerance. This is a guide only.
· Light: 15 – 45mg
· Common: 45 – 80mg
· Strong: 80 – 125mg
· Heavy: 125+
Harm Reduction Advice
· Mephedrone is very damaging to your nasal passages. Taking it orally is the less harmful option but if you do decide to snort it, make sure to rinse out your nose at the end of a session.
· Mephedrone users often report that they compulsively redose. To avoid taking too much, start low, take it slow and only buy/bring out with you the amount you intend to use.
· If you’re dancing remember to sip a pint of water per hour to avoid dehydration. Take breaks from the dancefloor to avoid heat stroke.
· Avoid mixing mephedrone with other drugs including alcohol as this will increase the strain on your heart and will make your comedown worse.
· Avoid using mephedrone with antidepressants that contain MAOIs as this will put you at risk of seizures and heart problems.
· Always weigh your dose. The best way of doing this is using a milligram scale. Don’t take random amounts on a dark dancefloor.
· If someone is overheating, take them to a cooler, calmer place. Remove some clothes and try to cool them down with water.
· If someone collapses or becomes unresponsive, seek immediate medical attention. You will not get in trouble for doing this.
· Do not attempt to get in the car and drive. Make sure you find a safe alternative.